Baxter Distributing Company, Inc.
In 1945 Clifford (Kip) and Lorraine Baxter started what is now Baxter Distributing Company, frequently referred to as Baxter’s. They began in the basement of their home selling wholesale drug sundries, such as aspirins and toothpaste, to corner grocery stores and gas stations. As the business grew, the variety of items offered for sale expanded and included small inexpensive toys for school and church fundraisers and decorations or both private and commercial parties. To accommodate the ever growing lines of merchandise, the business has occupied three different and larger locations over the years. Baxter’s has evolved into what is now primarily a retail party supply store and occupies half of a city block.
Baxter’s has always been a family owned business. It is currently owned by Kip and Lorraine’s children and their spouses, Janet and Roland Hansen and Bob and Jan Baxter.
In June of 2009 the River Bend Growth Association named Baxter’s the Business of the Month and later in 2009 Baxter’s was also voted Small Business of the Year.
For over seventy years, Baxter’s has been “Where Great Parties Begin”.